Currently at Oakmont for the U.S. Women’s Open. Some notes from Wednesday’s practice round.
- I’m here with two great students…world #1 Cristie Kerr and 15 year-old Alexis Thompson who just turned pro.
- The golf course is incredible…the fairways are really firm and the ball is running; greens are about 14 on the stimpmeter; it’s difficult to find easy pin locations on these greens.
- You’ll see three putts, four putts, and even five putts.
- The women have probably never played a golf course this hard.
- I’ve been spending some time with Oakmont head golf professional Bob Ford. Bob has been the pro here for 28 years; he recently qualified for the U.S. Senior Open and he’s a good friend; we’ve been partners in golf tournaments. I had dinner at his home last night and Cristie came by.
- Bob knows the course really well and his knowledge should help Cristie and Alexis.
- Cristie just finished a clinic with Arnold Palmer today (Wednesday). It was good to spend some time with “The King.” He was in a playoff with Jack Nicklaus in the 1962 U.S. Open here at Oakmont.
- Over par will win this championship.
- Famous women’s amateur Carol Semple Thompson is here and I spent some time with her over lunch.
- I’ve worked with four U.S. Women’s Open champions: Liselotte Neumann, Lauri Merten, Cristie, and Jane Geddes. I also worked with Tom Kite the year he won the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach.
- It’s supposed to get cooler on Friday but it’s hot now…94 degrees.
Overall…it’s going to be a big, big test on one of the country’s best golf courses.
For the Jim McLean Golf School site, go here.
Scott Martin, a copywriter who lives in Charlotte, North Carolina, is helping me with my blog. For his site, go here. Scott’s helping me with a business book I’m going to sell initially as an ebook.